Featuring Zoe CEO & Founder, Andres Garcia-Amaya, CFA
Watch Time: 2 minutes
Welcome to this week’s Market Drama – the first one of the year!
- Last week, U.S. stocks rallied 1.5% due to the better-than-expected December jobs number.
- Job growth didn’t decelerate significantly, but wage growth did.
- The unemployment rate fell to 3.5%, which is the lowest rate for this cycle.
- Wage growth rose by 0.3% in December, which gives an annualized growth rate of 4.8%.
- The Federal Reserve will keep interest rates high until inflation comes down. Since wage growth is a big driver of inflation, if wage growth decelerates, the market will rally.
What to look forward to this week?
- On Thursday, we get the core CPI for December. The expectation is for 0.3% month-over-month core CPI and headline CPI (which includes energy and food) of 6.5% year-over-year.
- If you get lower-than-expected CPI, combined with lower-than-expected wage growth, we could continue to see signs that the market likes what it sees.
Stay tuned for next week.
Disclosure: This page is not investment advice and should not be relied on for such advice or as a substitute for consultation with professional accounting, tax, legal or financial advisors. The observations of industry trends should not be read as recommendations for stocks or sectors.
Ready to Grow Your Wealth?
Let us connect you with the best financial advisor for you to understand the implications of the markets in your personal financial plan.
About Zoe Financial
Zoe is a wealth platform that connects you to the right trustworthy, credentialed, and experienced wealth advisor for your needs. We believe financial advice should come from unbiased and certified professionals. That’s why Zoe’s extensive vetting process qualifies only the top 5% of managers in the United States.
Best Online Financial Advisor 2022
Series A Led by Softbank
Most Innovative Companies 2022
2019 Annual Fintech Competition Winner