Featuring Zoe CEO & Founder, Andres Garcia-Amaya, CFA
December 12, 2022
Watch Time: 3 minutes
Welcome to this week’s Market Drama.
- The S&P 500 was down 3.5% last week as a result of inflation.
- The U.S. Producer Price Index came out for November with an increase of 0.3% month-over-month and 7.4% year-over-year.
- The University of Michigan Consumer Sentiment came out with their December numbers and it was up to 59.1. The result was higher than expected (57) because of the question about inflation expectations.
- People are expecting inflation to be 4.6% a year out, versus just last month, they were expecting it to be 4.9%. Why? Because the national average retail price for gas has come down to $3.33 on average. That’s roughly down $1.69 from June. As gasoline prices come down, people feel a little bit better about what they should expect for inflation next year.
What to look forward to this week?
- We get November CPI numbers on Tuesday. The expectations are 7.3% for the overall number and 6.1% for the core (that excludes food and energy prices since those tend to be the most volatile).
- November retail sales came out on Thursday, which gives us a pulse on how the consumer’s doing. Since consumption accounts for 68% of GDP, this number will be very important.
- The biggest event of the week is on Wednesday when the Federal Reserve will announce how much they are raising interest rates. The expectation right now is for 50 basis points.
- The Fed is also likely to update projections on how much they’re likely to hike next year.
Disclosure: This page is not investment advice and should not be relied on for such advice or as a substitute for consultation with professional accounting, tax, legal or financial advisors. The observations of industry trends should not be read as recommendations for stocks or sectors.
Ready to Grow Your Wealth?
Let us connect you with the best financial advisor for you to understand the implications of the markets in your personal financial plan.
About Zoe Financial
Zoe is a wealth platform that connects you to the right trustworthy, credentialed, and experienced wealth advisor for your needs. We believe financial advice should come from unbiased and certified professionals. That’s why Zoe’s extensive vetting process qualifies only the top 5% of managers in the United States.
Best Online Financial Advisor 2022
Series A Led by Softbank
Most Innovative Companies 2022
2019 Annual Fintech Competition Winner